Been wanted to try making this cake all this while. There are three layers of the cake;
and the bottom part is the rainbow cake.
Here are the recipe that i get from the net. Some of the steps i add and some of it i omit. So the recipe below is basically the one that i did. Turn out quite good and the taste a lot better hehehe…
A. For caramel topping;
2 tbsp sugar
Melt the sugar on low heat until golden brown (caramelize). Put aside. Be careful the sugar
will be very hot.
B. Middle part: Pudding
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 egg yolk
2 whole egg
C. Bottom part: rainbow cake
140 gm flour
2 tbsp condensed milk
70 gm castor sugar
3 egg yolk
135 ml water
1 tsp baking powder
45 ml corn oil
6 egg white
70 gm castor sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
1. Prepare part A
2. Mix all the ingredient in part B slowly. Don’t make bubble. Sieve and add into part A. Put aside
3. Beat all the ingredient in part C.
4. To make the meringue whip the egg white. Add the sugar gradually. Whip until soft peak. Add cream of tartar.
5. Add the meringue into part C – the cake part.
6. Divide into 3. Add the food coloring. I add blue, green and pink.
7. Ok the fun part: add 5 tbs (blue) into pudding, after that 5 tbs (green) and 5 tbs pink.
Repeat the step until finish.
8. Heat oven to 175 Celsius. Bake the cake with water steam bath style for 1 hour 15 mins.
TIPS: After take out from oven rest the cake for about 25 minutes before flip the pan. Chilled in the refrrigerator for 1 hour.
When I told my friend that I want to make ‘Cempedak’ Cake, first reaction that I received was funny face and a very very not encouraging words. I don’t know what Cempedak called in English but it’s in jack fruit family and smaller in size. It is a seasonal fruit native to southeast Asia thus we can only have a chance to eat it once a year. It is also much more sweeter, stickier and strong odor when it’s ripe.
My dad had plant a few over the past years and now is the season so we got quite a lot of these fruit. Usually my mom will deep fried it for tea time.
And now i want to bring this humble fruit to be another level. As a CAKE. At least in our family cause I know a lot of people out there already did it.
This is how the fruits looks
What you need;
250 gram butter
150 gram castor sugar
250 gram self raising flour
200 gram cempedak flesh (cut into small pieces. to make job easier use scissor *self note)
1) Beat butter and sugar until mixed well
2) Add eggs and flour alternately.
3) Add the cempedak flesh. Use spatula instead of mixer.
4) Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
5) Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake just comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
Tada…fresh from the oven
Bibimbap is a signature Korean dish. It’s actually mixed rice. It is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with sautéed and seasoned vegetables and chilly paste. A raw or fried egg and sliced or mince meat are common additions. The ingredients are stirred together thoroughly just before eating. It can be served either cold or hot.
This is the one that i had the other day
Here i paste the recipe for my own reference. It’s from maangchi.com and i adjust the recipe here and there.
- Cooked rice
- a bunch of spinach
- 5-7 Shitake mushrooms
- 200 grams of ground beef (about half a pound) or chicken mince meat
- 1 small carrot, eggs
- soy sauce, hot pepper paste, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and vegetable oil
Arrange everything on a platter.
- Cook rice. You can use a rice cooker or a stainless pot.
- Next prepare your vegetable; cut cucumber and carot into thin stripes as well as cabbage, lettuce and spinach.
- Sauté them in a pan over high heat. When it’s cooked, it will look a little translucent. Put it on the platter.
- Slice shitake mushrooms thinly and sauté with 1 ts of vegetable oil. Add 2 ts of soy sauce and 1 or 2 ts of sugar and stir it for 2 minutes. Add some sesame oil, and put it on the platter.
- On a heated pan, put some oil and 200 grams of ground beef and stir it. Add 4 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tbs of soy sauce, 1/2 tbs of sugar, a little grounded black pepper, and sesame oil.
Put it on the platter.
- prepare eggs with sunny side up.
- Put your rice In a big bowl, and attractively display all your vegetables and meat t. Place the sunny side up egg on the center.
- Serve it with sesame oil and hot pepper paste.
- Lastly, mix it up and eat!
*For those who can’t tolerate spicy sauce. : )
Chop 4 green onions and put them in a small bowl. Pour half cup of soy sauce in there, and add 1 tbs of sesame seeds, 2 ts of sugar, 1 tbs of sesame oil and mix it up.