When I told my friend that I want to make ‘Cempedak’ Cake, first reaction that I received was funny face and a very very not encouraging words. I don’t know what Cempedak called in English but it’s in jack fruit family and smaller in size. It is a seasonal fruit native to southeast Asia thus we can only have a chance to eat it once a year. It is also much more sweeter, stickier and strong odor when it’s ripe.
My dad had plant a few over the past years and now is the season so we got quite a lot of these fruit. Usually my mom will deep fried it for tea time.
And now i want to bring this humble fruit to be another level. As a CAKE. At least in our family cause I know a lot of people out there already did it.
This is how the fruits looks
What you need;
250 gram butter
150 gram castor sugar
250 gram self raising flour
200 gram cempedak flesh (cut into small pieces. to make job easier use scissor *self note)
1) Beat butter and sugar until mixed well
2) Add eggs and flour alternately.
3) Add the cempedak flesh. Use spatula instead of mixer.
4) Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
5) Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake just comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.